This blog post will be in two parts today.
So I’m spending my Christmas eve baking ready for the big day tommorrow and for Boxing day tea.
At the moment I’m making a Salted Caramel chocolate tart. This will be mine and Tims Christmas day dessert as neither of us like Christmas pudding.
Prepare the sweet pastry.
1. In a large bowl mix flour with ground almonds, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
2. Incorporate butter to the flour mixture, using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed.
3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix them in. Add water and incorporate into the dough.
4. Wrap it with plastic, knead slowly to form a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
(I did it for 30 minutes)
5. On a floured surface or over the plastic wrap roll the dough to a circle with about 1 1/2 inches larger than your tart pan.
6. Lift up the rolled dough and place it on a greased 9 inch tart pan.
7. Remove the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.
8. Prick the dough with a fork, line a parchment paper over the dough. Fill with dry beans, rice or pie weights.
9. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated 350 F (180C) oven.
10. Remove the weights and the parchment paper. Return to oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Allow to cool before removing from the tart tin.
1. Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
3. Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth.
4. Let the caramel cool slightly and pour over the chocolate crust. Refrigerate for about 4-5 hours.
The Chocolate ganache.
1. Heat the cream in a small saucepan.
2. When the cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate.
3. Let sit for one minute, then stir until smooth.
4. Pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel. Spread it evenly and refrigerate for another 2-3 hours before serving. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve.
Getting festive with my baking attire:
I also wanted to give you an update of the colouring in Advent calender that I’ve been doing throught the month of December, so here it is:
It looks great now that it’s nearly all coloured in! I’d like to keep it to have up next year on the table 🙂
Part 2 will be up later on this evening! I hope your having a festive Christmas eve so far xx